Sunday, December 23, 2007

¡Feliz Noche de Rábanos!



Night of the Radishes is a tradition in the Oaxaca region of Mexico, where townspeople carve dioramas, including nativities, out of monster radishes, then bring them to the town square for fun and prizes (I like the cat...). More pictures of fantastic radish art here (not mine, I haven't been to Oaxaca yet).

Since I am Radish, I've adopted (and adapted) it as one of my personal holidays. I usually relax at home and work on my own art. This year I'm off to western Iowa to spoil my niece and nephews; just the way their schedule worked out.

UPDATE: Well, I'm off as soon as NE Iowa stops being "Travel not advised; towing prohibited." It's fine here, it's fine at my parents' house, and it's covered with ice everywhere in between. How did people live before the Internet?

Merry Christmas everyone!

No comments: