Sunday, January 6, 2008

I love Milwaukee.

Spotted in the North/Oakland/Farwell/etc bar district about 1 o'clock this morning:


It was my 21st birthday last night--really! If you use a base number significantly larger than 10, my age can be represented as 21!--and my friend Andy organized an evening out.

We had 24 people to dinner at Botanas on S. 5th. Everyone got everything they ordered prepared correctly and fairly quickly, which impressed the hell out of me because usually service breaks down around 8-10 people. The food was good, and who doesn't love a decor that includes scenes of Aztec human sacrifices?

The conversation on my end of the table was fun until one of my friends from outside work started in on how Bush and Cheney should be impeached, even though they haven't broken any actual laws, but because they "know things." Then the guys I play cards with started in with the tired cliches about Bush the simpleton and Cheney the evil extraConstitutional conspiracy mastermind who shoots people he doesn't like blah blah blah. Sigh. I had to stand up and tell them to please stop ruining my birthday, which made everyone laugh. But they stopped. :P

After dinner we adjourned to the bar district on North Ave; drinks magically appeared in front of me. At one bar playing 80s music, when I was dancing by myself to Billy Idol, I realized the crowd was largely composed of people whose parents hadn't met when the songs charted and whom had never heard the music played in a non-ironic fashion. Unlike me, with my fond memories of hearing the song during my 4-H club's annual outing to Skatetown in the county seat. I felt uneasy. But that could have been the tequila.

Anyway. Back to acting my age. *shakes fist* Damn kids. Get off my lawn!

2 comments:

Steve Burri said...

Happy birthday, Heather.

Sounds like you had an enjoyable time.

Was that truck stuck or just imaginatively parked?

HeatherRadish said...

Thank you. :)

I think they just parked it like that; technically legal but if that had been my car to the right I'd be much less amused.