Monday, January 28, 2008

I wonder if these things are related.

Two articles I read today:

1. Today’s single young men hang out in a hormonal limbo between adolescence and adulthood.

I feel kind of hypocritcal noting this, because most of my friends in MKE are single men under 30 who like to game and watch sports and think marriage and children are stupid. I'm damned grateful they'll hang out with a cranky old woman, because it fills in my too-copious empty time and distracts me from realizing how pathetic I am.

But there seems to be a problem here.

2. The stifling of skills/The passivation of leisure/The triumph of triviality/

Hello, Maxim and Spike TV and internet pr0n.

I'm not immune; I'm noticing that lately I'm spending way too much time reading the internets (politics, which is a form of pr0n) and not enough time...well, doing anything useful.

They seem connected somehow, but while I'm good at noticing connections, I'm not very good at articulating them. The extended male adolescence wouldn't be possible without the general...dumbing-down isn't the right word, vapid-making-ness?...of society.

No comments: