Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Fascist Mississippi restaurant bill might die

I'm still not taking a vacation down to Mississippi anytime soon. Which annoys me, because I'd love to spend a month or two driving US61 from Davenport (Bix Beiderbecke) down to the Delta (obvious). I digress:
House Public Health and Human Services Committee Chairman Steve Holland announced his intention to kill House Bill 282. The proposed legislation has outraged advocacy groups critical of the legislation and intrigued the national media.

"It's dead on arrival at my desk," Holland, D-Plantersville, said in a news release. "While I appreciate the efforts of my fellow House members to help curb the obesity problem in Mississippi, this is totally the wrong approach."
Can I get a "no shit"?

The author of the bill still needs to have his rectal-cranial inversion treated:
"You take food away from fat people ... my gosh," Mayhall said.

*headdesk* NO. It's not about "fat people are crybabies who eat too much." It's about government mandating discrimination against an entire class of people (I thought there was an amendment about that...). It's about government seizing control of--and probably destroying--another industry. And mostly it's about we're freaking ADULTS, capable of making decisions about where we will eat dinner, and it's no one's damn business if someone wants to trade me a cheeseburger for a sawbuck.

Holland and Gov. Haley Barbour (R) have the right idea:
Holland, who has described himself as obese, said, "I am working on my own health issues, and I need to do that. I think (Gov. Haley Barbour's) take on this is a good idea. Let's all go walking instead of trying to tell restaurants who they can serve."

No comments: