Monday, February 25, 2008

Go Crusaders

After a thrilling double-overtime victory over Miami on Saturday, Valparaiso begins a stretch of three Horizon League games over a six-day span today when the Crusaders take on Milwaukee. Valpo is currently in a fight for one of the top six seeds heading into the Horizon League tournament, which would give the Crusaders a first-round home game. An evenly-matched series, Valpo has won seven of the 13 previous matchups between the two squads.

My friends recorded the Valpo-Miami game on their DVR so I could watch it after we got back from dinner Saturday. It cut off with 2 minutes left in regulation, when the cable company told the box the channel had switched to boxing. Someone has to figure out a better way to transmit program information for live programs...

Anyway, I watched enough that I won't feel like a poseur this evening when I join the Alumni Club for hors d'oeurves before the game. I expect to be the only woman attending who isn't accompanying her husband, because that's EVERY Valpo alumni event, but at least I'll be able to hold my own in a conversation about Urule Igbavboa's hair. (Why am I going to a party if I'm going to be standing in a corner by myself? "Free parking and complimentary shuttle to and from the game." And being surrounded by other visiting fans should reduce my chances of being spat on by local fans...)

Valpo is one of just six schools to host three home games over that time span on one of the three ESPN networks, joining Indiana, Louisville, Notre Dame, Syracuse and Villanova.
Why didn't we upgrade to the Horizon League sooner?

No comments: