Thursday, September 11, 2008

September 11


I don't have anything to add to the volumes out there already. I was in a meeting all morning with other people who didn't know anything was happening instead of watching it all live, which I think allowed me to be a lot more rational than the people (mostly women) I got in fights with all that week--they ranged from "we deserve it because [various bullshit]" to "we're all going to die/starve/etc 'cause this is the end of America". Which irritated me because there were over 290 million of us covering thousands unaffected square miles, and we're smart, we're resilient, we're tough, and we work hard, so dammit, we were going to get through this, just like we've gotten through everything else, and prevail in the end.

Three years ago I might have said, "and now we see I was right" but now I'm not so sure; the main effect of 9/11 seems to be an accelerated rate of appeasement and creeping Sharia law, and a head-in-the-sand refusal to acknowledge what actually happened.

And I've learned to keep my big yap shut, especially around women. No one wants patriotic optimism when they can wallow in despair.

No comments: