Tuesday, April 1, 2008

If I'd managed to have kids

...they'd be hairy little social outcast girls these days. Be sure to read the linked Philadelphia Magazine piece for the full horror effect.

The concept that women "have to" spend countless hours and interminable dollars on hair and makeup and diet and crap to be acceptable has always eluded me--I always thought my time and money was better spent learning and creating and traveling and that sort of thing. I'm vain enough to insist on having TWO eyebrows, but that's about it.

Obviously I've always been wrong, or I wouldn't be living with a cat. *srednop*

But I think I'm not wrong on "girls aged 8--or ten, or even 13--really shouldn't be encouraged to look and act like sexually mature women." I feel sad for them.

(I had a "spa treatment" once--a Christmas gift from my best friend and her ex-husband. The masseur was a trainer with the Purdue athletic department and we talked about football the entire hour.)

6 comments:

Steve Burri said...

Wow, just wow!

HeatherRadish said...

Yeah. I'd like to think maybe rich people are different than the rest of us, and then I go to WalMart and see the preteens there...

Michael J. Cheaney said...

Whatever happened to the days when all we wanted was our kids to be happy?

Not having Kids of my own, (Unless you count the Dog) I may mot be qualified to have an opinion on this, but I'll opine anyway) What. THE. HELL?!

I think it just goes to show how MATERIALISTIC some segments of society have become. BLAH!

HeatherRadish said...

Well, if you think your daughter won't or can't be happy unless she looks and acts like Jessica Simpson, it makes a lot of sense. You're just doing what needs to be done.

But I don't understand why you have to look and act like that to be attractive to men, which equals "happy" for most women...

Especially when you're 8.

Michael J. Cheaney said...

I'm not so sure I even want my niece looking at boys when shes 8 (much less 28) (My oldest Nephew is going to be 12 in August and has had more girlfriends by 11 than I've had in my life...and I'm 34! Bastard! But I digress.

To have that much of your self worth wrapped up in your looks to me points to very large shortcomings in the parenting Department.

rc said...

Holy Crap!!!

As the mother of 2 daughters, one of them 8, I cannot accurately describe how much this story made me almost physically ill.

Somehow, I don't think this is what the feminist movement was striving for either.

I weep for our future.