Thursday, October 18, 2007

Stuff

  • Got an e-mail from my cousin letting me know that Rockwell Collins in Cedar Rapids is hiring a skazillion engineers. I might need a new job in a few months (I've already ridden a 12-month contract 18 months) but I don't want to go back to being the only never-married non-mother non-lesbian over 25 living in the state. Milwaukee has its downsides but at least people ask me what I do instead of my children.
  • Speaking of, Kay S. Hymowitz at City Journal has written a piece on how women around the world love being single. I must be doing something wrong. Maybe if I didn't hate shopping...
  • On the other end of the spectrum, middle-school students getting hormonal birth control without the knowledge of their parents. I spent my afternoon imagining scenarios where any of the kids I know would be 11 or 13 and asking me about ANY birth control and every single one of them involves me calling their parents (several of them also involve beating the crap out of someone). I'm not anti-pill--if someone wants to put their young daughter on birth control pills for a non-medical reason, that's their prerogative as a crappy parent--but I'm very against government agencies going behind parents' backs, and especially when there are potentially dangerous physical consequences.
  • The Packers have a bye and the Colts play Monday. What am I going to DO this weekend?

No comments: