Friday, November 2, 2007

"I didn’t start the war, but I was going to finish it."

Obituary of Brigadier General Paul W. Tibbets, one the thousands of people who've done more to bring peace to the planet than al-Gore can even dream of doing. I love that quote.

Back when I was a young skull full of mush I came home from school and told my dad America was bad and wrong for dropping the bombs on Japan in 1945. Took him about ten minutes to explain, in that "disappointed in you" voice no one ever wants to hear, that Grandpa fought the Japanese in the Pacific in 1945 and would have been sent into an invasion of the mainland, which most likely would have killed him and a million other American men. And then both of us would have never been born.

Couldn't argue with logic like that. Still can't argue with logic like that. Imagine what a crappy place the world would be without me. *snicker*

It's incredibly sad that Tibbets refused a funeral and even a headstone because he knew assholes would use them as a meeting place for protests. People have no shame anymore.

No comments: