Monday, December 3, 2007

Not my fault, but I'm sure I'll pay for it anyway.

INCREASING incidences of divorce around the world have a negative impact on the environment, leading to a less efficient use of energy and resources and bigger expenditures on utilities, a new study says.

In 2005, US divorced households spent as much as 56 per cent more on electricity and water per person than married households, and used up to 61 per cent more resources per person than they did before the separation took place.

Sounds like something I noted about ten years ago...rent and heat and lightbulbs cost the same whether there's one person in an apartment or two, so the spinster spends double the percentage of her income on shelter as a married woman of similar employ, assuming she's not coupled with a deadbeat. (And I was promptly savaged for making the observation. Ah, the open-minded, tolerant sensitivity of women in groups.)

But more to the point, will al-Gore's minions shuttle all the spinsters off to energy-saving group homes before or after they outlaw the private use and ownership of automobiles (with exceptions for the very wealthy and politically connected, i.e. al-Gore and his friends)??



In other news, I reduced my carbon footprint by canceling the trip I was supposed to make to Miami this week. *weep, snuffle* Except I didn't reduce anything; the jet I won't be on is making the trip whether I go or not, further illustrating how absurd this "carbon accounting" bullshit really is.

(I was supposed to meet up with my friend Roland from Germany, who is spending one of his 8 annual weeks of vacation, not including federal holidays, in south Florida, but for the first time in 18 months the guys who write the software finished a release on the deadline and now they expect me to test it before Thursday. Scheiße!)

No comments: