Wednesday, February 27, 2008

I knew I hated DST for a reason

Besides basic curmudgeonliness:

Research on the impact of extending daylight-saving time across Indiana found:
• Residential electricity usage increased between 1% and 4%, amounting to $8.6 million a year.
• Social costs from increased emissions were estimated at between $1.6 million and $5.3 million per year.
• Possible social benefits -- enhanced public health and safety and economic growth -- were not studied.

I don't buy "enhanced public health and safety." The armed robberies and carjackings of cow-orkers here in MKE happened right at the time change, when it was suddenly pitch black at 4:30 p.m. and no one expected it. I'm pretty sure microbes don't keep clocks, either (remember when "public health" meant infectious disease...?).

*snicker* When I lived in Indiana, I bought a VCR that automatically adjusted its clock, even though the local TV stations didn't adjust their broadcast times. Took me a good three weeks in April to figure out why the new X-Files wasn't getting taped but the rerun immediately following was...

No comments: