Saturday, January 10, 2009

The radiant visage of The One

Shepard Fairey's unoriginal banal "radical chic" artwork is being acquired by the National Portrait Gallery*.

The collage, unlike the smoothed-out version millions of Obamabots have themselves plagiarized, contains--quite noticeably--Fairey's Soviet-styled "Obey" logo (upper right-hand corner, also below his right ear).

Nice.

O's face will also stare at you from your Metro fare card, if you're unfortunate enough to be in the DC area this month. At least that's not part of the trend of emblazoning Dear Leader's visage on any available surface--they printed cards with Bill Clinton in 1993 (but not George Bush in 2001).

If I suddenly come into great wealth, I'm going back to school to study art history and abnormal psychiatry--maybe I could make sense of this stuff, or at least write about it effectively.

UPDATE: Refreshingly faceless Obama quilt from Milwaukee artist Sonji Hunt. I'll be seeing some of her other work, which I like a lot, in person later this month at the Anderson Art Center in Kenosha. I'll be really happy when this cult stuff blows over and I can read quilt blogs again.

* Plagiarism is a path to success--just ask Joe Biden!

No comments: