Monday, January 5, 2009

"When the Left asks for a classless society, now I know what they mean."*

Jay Nordlinger chronicles some abuses of non-political public occasions. The last one on the third page is especially horrendous.

I'd like to thank the MSO for not doing this Friday night. There were no words spoken at all from the stage--they just came out and played the music. And the pre-performance educational talk (which I really appreciate, since I know so little about classical music) was all about the pieces being performed. The composers, the soloist, how the conductor chose to follow the tempo markings in the original manuscript instead of slowing it down like most 21st-century conductors do.

I also love that I wasn't the only woman wearing heavy warm winter boots with dress pants. ;) How many cities in the world will let women wear weather-appropriate footwear to high-culture events with nary a eye-rolling?

* It's a pun. We all know damn well they want a two-class society: Their in-crowd of wealthy "educated" true-believers, and everyone else to do the work.

No comments: