Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Iowa State commemorates a century of basketball Saturday


Also scheduled to return are eight of the 12 living members of Iowa State's 15-man all-century team - [Gary] Thompson, Jeff Grayer, Fred Hoiberg, Hercle "Poison" Ivy, Zaid Abdul-Aziz, Victor Alexander, Kelvin Cato and Jake Sullivan.

The man who reinvented Iowa State basketball, coach Johnny Orr, will also be back.

I love Johnny Orr. The REAL Johnny Orr, not this poseur.

Key Iowa State Basketball Moments.

I remember that Big 8 title game like it was yesterday (in your face LaFrentz, you traitor!), but I don't remember the 2000 Big XII title game, probably because it was on ESPN and I didn't have cable. I do remember the quilts I was working on during that winter and the Big XII tournament--all the other games were on local TV. (Barry Stevens is fuzzy, probably because that's the week I got a little brother.)

The ISU women were also back-to-back conference champions in 2000 and 2001 (I saw a lot of their games with my aunt and uncle). I will never throw out that T-shirt.


Anyway, if the trends hold, ISU basketball will stop sucking around 2013 or 2026.

No comments: